About this resource

The Independent Living Program (ILP) helps youth who are, or were, in foster care to become self-sufficient adults. It gives an opportunity to learn valuable skills necessary to make a successful transition from state or tribal custody to living on your own in the community.


  • If you are a youth still in foster care, contact your caseworker. Your caseworker will help you through the process.
  • If you are a youth no longer in foster care, visit your local DHS Child Welfare office and request “Voluntary Services.” You will then go through the intake process and be assigned a caseworker who will help you. If you are under the age of 18, your parent(s) or legal guardian must sign the Voluntary Services request. If you are over 18 you can sign for yourself. You are not eligible for services once you are age 21 except for the Educational Training Voucher (ETV).
500 Summer Street NE, E76
Salem, OR 97301-1017
United States