Young people with lived experience in foster care must have a seat at the table to transform laws and policies that shape their own lives.
What is Public Policy?
- Public Policy is what the government and elected officials decided to do or not do about an issue.
- Public Policy involves making choices on whether and how to address problems that affect society
- Key aspects of public policy include:
- Identifying issues that need attention
- Proposing potential solutions
- Implementing and evaluating decided actions
What is Legislation?
- Legislation refers to laws enacted by a lawmaking body
- At the federal level, legislation involves U.S. Congress (the Senate and the House of Representatives) passing bills.
- FosterClub advocates for legislation that empowers youth in care
Nothing About Us Without Us
We believe that when the System listens to young people with lived experience in foster care, it does better. We refer to the young people who step up to inform public policy and legistlation as Lived Experience Leaders — or LEx Leaders, for short.
Timeline of Major Child Welfare Legislation.
Below, we've provided a quick summary of major legislation that impact the foster care system, highlighting items that might be most interesting to young people in the FosterClub network who are interested in advocating for change.
This is when FosterClub was born. (2000)
”FosterClub has made me CURIOUS. After my AllStar Internship and first Board Meeting, I developed a deep curiosity for Policy, Partnerships, and Marketing. I constantly put myself in a mindset of curiosity and environment of learning all due to the conversations and experiences with FosterClubs staff, Board of Directors, partners, and advocates.”
— Cody, past FosterClub Intern and Board Member