Filed under:

Vermont Foster Youth ResourcesOff we go again! Hopefully everyone had a wonderful 4th of July. Parades, fireworks, and good old family fun. This week I'm going to provide information and resources in the state of Vermont just in case someone doesn't know and needs some assistance. Let's get started...

First and foremost Vermont unfortunately doesn't have an ombudsman specifically for Foster Care. The definition of an ombudsman according to Google is "an official appointed to investigate individuals' complaints against maladministration, especially that of public authorities." However, upon returning home to Vermont later this month this topic is going to be one that I am going to elevate and hopefully implement in the state of Vermont.

The head of our Youth Development Program (YDP), which can be considered the equivalant to Oregon's Independent Living Program, is Dana Lawrence. Mr. Lawrence is the policy specialist and over sees the Youth Development Program. I personally have had several interactions with him throughout the last 5 years and each and every one is very positive. Mr. Lawrence is very kind and knowledgeable.

Also in the state of Vermont in order to access the Chaffee Grant you need to create an online account with Vermont Student Assistance Cooperation (VSAC.) VSAC is where anyone looking to obtain a higher education in Vermont should start, right after the FAFSA. There are several different scholarships that youth in care or former youth in care are eligible for and an entire list of them is posted in VSAC's website,

Lastly, if you are a former youth in care or a youth in care seeking employment in Vermont getting involved with Vocational Rehabilitation is your best bet. VocRehab can assist with finding and maintaining a employment as well as apply for SSI and SSDI. VocRehab also has access to funds that can assist people with transportation, getting specific work attire or tools and so on. There are several different offices located throughout the state to be able to ensure everyone in our state who is eligible for these services can access them easily.

I hope you have found this information helpful. If you would like more information about any of the information above feel free to go to the following websites:
Vermont Department for Children and Families


Jul 8, 2016 By KaylaCarmen


kamoser2's picture

kamoser2 said:

I was just going through some of these blogs. This one caught my eye because I grew up in Vermont for the first 19 year of my life. I love Vermont! I grew up with 13 siblings, all from the same mother and father. My parents did foster care for 1 boy before my twin brother and I were born prematurely and very high risk. Out of the 13 children, 4 of us are licensed foster parents and have adopted 7 children into the family through foster care. 3 of us are licensed in the State of Idaho and the other is licensed in Indiana. I find it interesting that 3 out of 4 of us that are licensed are guys. We love what we do. Recently, my wife and I had 7 foster children in our home because of the shortage of foster parents in Idaho. We love our home state of Vermont and love the work that we do to care for children while they are aware from their families.