We are pleased to share the statement from President Biden and Vice President Harris in celebration of Pride month! The statement includes new actions that federal agencies are taking to support LGBTQ2S+ communities and youth across the nation, many of which have been recommended by our LEx leaders! FosterClub, and specifically our #FosterEquality campaign is thrilled to see the incorporation of lived experience voices in federal policymaking!
#FosterEquality aims to improve policy + practice to better support LGBTQ2S+ youth in foster care.
We do this through amplifying the voices and experiences of LGBTQ2S+ youth in and from foster care in federal advocacy, research, and resources.
Want to become part of the movement??! Visit our website!
We were thrilled to see the inclusion of LGBTQ2S+ youth in foster care in the White House’s statement, and are looking forward to what is to come! Some of the highlights include:
- Upcoming requirements from the Administration for Children and Families requiring state child welfare agencies to ensure that LGBTQ2S+ youth have access to safe and appropriate placements, as well as affirming supportive services
- Regulations from the Office of Civil Rights to protect LGBTQ2S+ youth and families from discrimination in human services programs
- A behavioral healthcare advisory from the US Department of Health and Human Services to support mental health providers who serve LGBTQ2S+ youth
- Issuing funding and technical assistance to communities so they can increase mental health services for LGBTQ2S+ youth to prevent behavioral risks like suicide and homelessness
- New programs from the Department of Housing and Urban Development that will work with communities to address LGBTQ2S+ youth homelessness, including regular training and resources for employees at shelters and Know Your Rights tools for LGBTQ2S+ youth experiencing homelessness
Check out some the following #FosterEquality resources + recent advocacy related to the White House’s statement, and keep an eye out for upcoming #FosterEquality service opportunities!
- Meeting with federal leaders to discuss the LGBTQ2S+ experience in foster care including safe data collection
- Tips + resources for supporting older LGBTQ2S+ youth in care to reduce risk of homelessness after exiting care (4-part series)
- Tips from former foster youth on how adults can affirm LGBTQ2S+ youth in care
- A guide for foster caregivers + agency providers in using inclusive language to promote affirming placements and services
- Information on state policies that prohibit discrimination against LGBTQ2S+ identities
- LEx speaking out against a Supreme Court ruling that allows discrimination against LGBTQ2S+ foster families
- LEx informing federal agencies on how best to support LGBTQ2S+ youth through safe data collection and appropriate placements