What to Do:
Download this House of Representatives phone list to find the number of your Representative. All numbers begin with a 202 area code.
1. Share your name, and that you are a constituent of that Representative. You will most likely be speaking with that Representative's Legislative aid. (If you would like you may request to speak to the legislative aid that handles adoption/child welfare.)
2. Ask them if they are aware of the Every Child Deserves a Family Act (H.R. 3827) and that it is important that the members of Congress supports it.
3. Relay the message: There are 130,000 children in foster care waiting for adoptive families, and even more children who are in need of foster homes. By allowing discriminatory barriers (such as denying or delaying placements based on sexual orientation or marital status) we are denying these children a chance to have a permanent loving family. You may wish to tailor your message with a relevant personal story.
4. Ask your member of Congress if he/she will cosponsor this legislation or sign a Dear Colleague letter in support. download an example Dear Colleague letter If they are interested in doing so provide them with Jeff Hild’s contact information. Jeff Hild, Legislative Aid for Representative Pete Stark: [email protected] or 202-225-5065 or ask for their email and send them the attached Dear Colleague letter.
5. Forward this page to your colleagues and friends. You may read the entire text of the bill by visiting: www.thomas.gov , select, bill number, and type H.R. 3827 in the designated field.