About this resource

Ombudsman or Child Advocates, as they're also called, were established within states and/or Child Welfare to investigate complaints, concerns, or violations of children right's while in foster care. Ombudsman is a Swedish word that means "representative" or "agent." The names are different in every state though!

In Alabama, to report a problem, concern, or violation about a youth's case or treatment the department to contact is the Administrative Hearing office within the Alabama Department of Human Services. 

To start a complaint, call the office at: (334) 242-1325

This office provides investigation and/or legal processes in matters regarding child abuse and/or neglect, adult services, licensing, and other issues. That means, they are not the most youth-focused and if you call, you may have to advocate for yourself.