Listed below are an Overview, Job Description, Essential Requirements, and Application Process Description
|Position:||Communications & Fundraising Manager|
1.1. Background & Description of the Role
FosterClub is the national network for young people in foster care. The FosterClub mission is to lead the efforts of young people in and from foster care to become connected, educated, inspired and represented so they can realize their personal potential and contribute to a better life for their peers. Our small, but-mighty, team of 11 professional staff guide a network of 500 young leaders in achieving great things in our program areas, including membership, policy and system change, training and education, and young leaders.
FosterClub is a non-profit organization that serves foster youth across the country. We are building a movement to connect young people in foster care so they can improve their own lives, improve outcomes for their peers, and elevate their voices to reform the U.S. foster care system. Our non-profit is celebrating its 16-year anniversary and we are headquartered in Seaside, Oregon. Learn more at www.fosterclub.org.
1.2. Contractual Terms
|Working Hours:||Full time 40 hours per week|
|Leave:||15 days per year (pro-rated start date, in addition to 11 paid holidays) increase with length of service|
|Travel:||May include travel to implementation sites|
2. Job Description
As a member of our small but growing team, you will play an integral part in our organization. The Communications & Fundraising Manager will lead on and deliver all of the FosterClub output (web, social media, video, etc) and act as the voice of the organization online through strong copywriting skills. Furthermore, the Communications & Fundraising Manager will lead the efforts of the Individual Donor Fundraising Team through fundraising campaigns, supporter journeys, and increased donations to FosterClub.
- Create mini-sites and campaign sites for fundraising/advocacy if/when needs arise.
- Set digital strategy and objectives and stay abreast of changes and trends in the digital space that may provide opportunities or challenges for FosterClub.
- Generate content for our main website. Some of this will be in response to requests from fundraising colleagues, but a lot will be reliant on self-initiative and a good understanding of the work of FosterClub and the issues we’re tackling.
- Manage the presence of FosterClub on social media networks – primarily Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus. Act as the ‘voice’ of the organization and represent our work in an appropriate manner and tone of voice.
- Create and manage an annual calendar.
- Create and edit photos, graphics, and videos.
- Play a lead role in coordinating the offline communications of FosterClub – including copywriting and printed material production (e.g. posters, leaflets and brochures).
- Ensure FosterClub branding is maintained across the organization.
Individual Donor Fundraising
- Coordinate and lead the efforts of the Individual Donor Fundraising team.
- Develop a Individual Donor Fundraising Strategy consisting of pipeline planning for individuals, major and potential donors.
- Maximize donations by creating compelling annual campaigns, and by optimizing the donation process.
- Manage the participation of FosterClub in the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC).
- Develop a Corporate Donor Strategy
- Develop, segment and analyse the network/donor lists of FosterClub
- Undertake other online marketing initiatives and explore pro-bono opportunities for free banner ads, promotion, blogger outreach etc.
- Create and manage annual report, or FosterClub Yearbook.
- Develop and manage relationships with external suppliers, pro-bono agencies and designers, fundraising websites, freelance photographers and film-makers, etc.
- Train staff and interns to produce content on our website.
- Retain FosterClub branding across programs materials.
- Provide ad-hoc press and media coordination when required.
3. Essential Requirements
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Some web content or development skills
- Excellent writing skills – experience in creating compelling and engaging copy for a variety of audiences
- Creating and editing graphics using Photoshop
- A good understanding of, and experience with, SEO and Digital Marketing/Fundraising and how digital activity can support offline strategies
- Strong all-around IT skills and proven ability to learn new platforms and technology quickly
- Demonstrated experience with project management, including (but not limited to) planning, implementing and reporting functions
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Experience or interest in developing fundraising strategy
- Experience with budgeting and reporting
- Ability to build relationships to encourage long-term giving, especially with major donors
- Confidence in presenting to groups
- Prefer experience with client database management software
- Customer service skills
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate in a team environment
- Time management, including ability to stick to and meet deadlines
- Experience, interest and/or aptitude to work with young people
- Ability to be flexible and adjust to changing organizational need
- Passionate about our cause
Skills and experience we'd be excited to hear if you have:
- An understanding or interest in foster care issues
- Experience with Drupal or similar CMS websites (such as WordPress)
- Experience with video editing software
- Use of email marketing
- BA in relevant field
- 3+ years experience with Communications/Fundraising
- Grant writing experience
- Corporate donor experience
- Event planning
- FosterClub is committed to building a culturally diverse work environment. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, LGBT community and veterans are encouraged to apply. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal.
4. Application Process
- Please submit a Resume and Cover Letter to Erika Marshall at: Erika@fosterclub.com
- Due to limited resources FosterClub will only contact shortlisted employees
- Interviews will begin as applications come in and candidates are shortlisted
- At the interview, candidates will meet with some of the wider FosterClub team and will be expected to complete a short written assessment test
- Any offer made will be conditional on receipt of two written references (from your most recent employer and a character reference).
- The successful applicant will be expected to undergo a background check prior to a final offer being made
- Start date: ASAP