Have questions about the Outstanding Young Leaders program? Hopefully we can answer some of them for you below. If you have further questions, feel free to contact us by calling 503-717-1552 or sending an email to email@example.com.
Who is eligible? Nominees must be aged 16 to 24 years old. Nominees must have spent some time in foster care in the United States. Nominations are not open to FosterClub staff, interns (including All-Stars) and past Outstanding Young Leaders.
How are people nominated? One of two ways:
- Young people may be nominated by someone they know (a nominator). Nominators may be a co-worker, child welfare professional, or anyone else who believes that the young person deserves consideration because of their outstanding commitment to help improve the foster care system or their community.
- If a young person applied to be a FosterClub All-Star and checked yes to the following question: 'Please consider this application for the OUTSTANDING YOUNG LEADER award', they will be considered for this recognition.
How are they selected? FosterClub staff, interns, volunteers and past Outstanding Young Leaders will select the recipient based on leadership and service, goals, and accomplishments.
What do Outstanding Young Leaders receive?
- Certificate of achievement
- Recognition on FosterClub.org
- Possible leadership opportunities
- Possible media and press coverage
- A great addition to their resume!
What is the time commitment? Minimal. Outstanding Young Leaders may be contacted about attending other events throughout the country, or the possibility to meet their Congressmen or other legislative officials. These opportunities are optional.
What will FosterClub ask of the youth if selected? Once a youth is selected, FosterClub will need the following 2 things from the youth:
- Confirmation of Biography: a FosterClub staff member will create a short bio about the youth. Each youth will be required to read, edit, and approve their bio prior to publishing on FosterClub.org. Click here to see examples from 2015.
- A Profile Photo: Youth will be required to submit a photo of themselves. A headshot (shoulders and up) is preferred, but it does not need to be a professional photo. If the nominee is under the age of 18, permission from their legal guardian and/or case worker will be required to use a picture. Photos may be used on our website for publicity and media efforts.
These two items will be used to create a Outstanding Young Leader profile for each winner. Click here for an example.