In this course, you can expect to learn:
- Unique challenges youth face when exiting foster care
- Adolescent development and changes in the brain
- Laws and programs to support transitioning youth
- The critical role of foster parents
- Tools to empower foster youth to prepare for the transition to adulthood
Read this FosterClub Real Story written by Shawn Denise Semelsberger. She provides youth perspective about aging out of foster care unprepared
FosterClub recommends foster youth do 21 things before they transition out of care to make sure they have a successful journey to independence. Read FosterClub's "it's T time" to become familiar with steps foster youth should take before they leave foster care
Read this FosterClub Real Story written by Ricky Ballesteros, he provides valuable youth perspective about why transition planning is important.
Review "Helping Youth Transition to Adulthood: Guidance for Foster Parents", developed by the Child Welfare Information Gateway.
Join the discussion in the comments below to answer the following question:
When do you think a young person should begin their transition plan?