honesty

linneacnord's picture

I think honesty and open communication helps for understanding those who may feel differently than we do. I know for me, LGBTQ is not something that I have personal experience with. I live in a small community where we didn't talk or learn about such things and I was probably in high school before I knew the word gay was for more than someone being happy! As naive as that sounds, it is the truth. So for me, I guess I would be learning a lot with a LGBTQ placement in my home as far as community support. Honestly stating I'm not sure where you can go for help/counseling/support groups but being willing to seek out those resources for a child and for myself to gain better understanding is what I think matters.

Have an open mind

Desiree9157's picture

Have an open mind, be encouraging, let them know that you are there for them and make them feel comfortable and know that they can come to you with any questions or concerns.

Have an open mind

Desiree9157's picture

Have an open mind, be encouraging, let them know that you are there for them and make them feel comfortable and know that they can come to you with any questions or concerns.

Open Communication

cmlee's picture

Open Communication

Accepting

dewbabyt's picture

I think accepting an individual for who they are requires acceptance on every level. Open communication and allowing them to be themselves all the way around

Accepting

dewbabyt's picture

I think accepting an individual for who they are requires acceptance on every level. It infuriates me when I hear of the horror stories these children go through while in the system, let alone as they grow up in the world as it is today. They struggle enough within to be ridiculed for who they are. Imagine what they go through alone, let alone all the baggage everyone else dumps on them! In one of the training classes I attended I listened to a foster parent say if she was to get one of these children she would have to teach them how to be normal!! That was it....I unloaded on her and everyone else in that class! If you can't be accepting then don't accept them into your home from the get go.

Keep it open

jkreid60's picture

We have a very open minded home and we encourage others to have the same open mind. This allows all of us to communicate better and be more connected and open to any situation

Keep it open

jkreid60's picture

We have a very open minded home and we encourage others to have the same open mind. This allows all of us to communicate better and be more connected and open to any situation

open mind

Melgoza626's picture

when we have children who are different form others it is our job to make sure they embrace who they are and feel no matter what they like or what they feel ,they should feel supported by their loved ones.

Welcome to my home!

Noodles's picture

Welcome everything that they have to say. encourage their thoughts and beliefs

Accepting

Cherokee48's picture

By having love, patience and understanding of others is the 1st step of raising an exceptional and diverse child.

Adjustment

hernandez685's picture

I think a big adjustment in my home would be not talking about what "we believe". And to be careful extended family didn't make a youth feel uncomfortable due to beliefs about LGBTQ.

Affirmation of their identity

markishagrayson's picture

I believe having an opened mind and accepting the information that is giving.