Separation

thereserockwell's picture

I could have my foster child write letters to his family members. We could mail them when it is appropriate to do so. We could look at his or her family photos and talk about the people in the photos. I could print some photos from his or her phone and frame them, or make a photo scrap book for the child to keep.

IDEAS

epowell's picture

I have some middle aged kids (10 and 13) who use to visit with their family as a mean of communication and my 15 year old she visited with her biological family often and I believe as long as they(biological family)puts forth the effort than I makes things that much better.

Dealing with separation

Tistinesissy's picture

a school aged child could write letters to their family as a way to express themselves. if at some point communication is reopened they may want to share their letters.

idea

sweetvoice30's picture

We have used play therapy.

Ideas

lukewhite76's picture

We have had the young ones color pictures of their family and fun places they have been with their family.

Talk openly

ericars's picture

Our kiddos are 3 and 5 years old. Sometimes these concepts seem too grownup for them. Where we have had luck though is in pretend play, coloring and open discussion about where their folks are and how they're doing.

Talk openly

ericars's picture

Our kiddos are 3 and 5 years old. Sometimes these concepts seem too grownup for them. Where we have had luck though is in pretend play, coloring and open discussion about where their folks are and how they're doing.

Ideas

Ryanfontana's picture

We had a 4 year old boy who was separated from his sisters. We would facetime with them once a week so they could see each other between visits. They really enjoyed this!

An idea for young ones (we

meghan711's picture

An idea for young ones (we had an 18 month old and 3 year old placed with us) is to have them color a picture of their bio parents and siblings.