Ideas

Ankromfamily1's picture

This question is so age-dependent. We have a one year old and a two year old and right now they have weekly visits with their birth mom. If those stopped permanently, we would try to have pictures of their birth mom for the kids to have and we would talk about the different ways children come into families (by birth, by adoption, temporarily through foster care). I think if the kids are older, there are a lot more options that people have already mentioned.

impact on kids

tesk87's picture

To help children that have no contact with bio's, they need to feel part of your family. Each case is different, when bio's don't want nothing to do with the children make sure they see themselves in pictures and involved in the family. Make sure they feel part of the extended family too.

impact on kids

tesk87's picture

To help children that have no contact with bio's, they need to feel part of your family. Each case is different, when bio's don't want nothing to do with the children make sure they see themselves in pictures and involved in the family. Make sure they feel part of the extended family too.

missing relatives/friends

Blair's picture

Write notes, draw pictures, make cards to be given when those people can be seen again

Missing out.

0togo7's picture

If missing a loved tradition or event give the child the opportunity to talk about it or facilitate bringing it to life.

Missing out.

0togo7's picture

If missing a loved tradition or event give the child the opportunity to talk about it or facilitate bringing it to life.

Have them discuss openly when

sfin74's picture

Have them discuss openly when they are confortable about their family. Allow them to feel comfortable to think and talk about the circumstances and their family so they have closure.

Guidance

SeanL's picture

Provide a stuff animal to help ease the transition. Also giving that child some time to grieve from what just happened and to ease them in to the new changes that are ahead with the use of their case worker, support, activities and understanding will help them through this and to stay in contact or try to with other family if it is allowed.

Separation

ShaParent's picture

We have an open line of communication to discuss his family. We also pray for his family each day.

Open Discussion

adevos's picture

Encourage children to talk openly about their families and ask them questions about their previous relationships. Maintain positivity.

Journal

PamDV's picture

Encourage kids to write out their memories of their bio families in a journal, frame and display any pictures they might have of family members and write letters (even if they are never sent).

Ideas

Frances Vaujin's picture

play therapy

Ideas

Frances Vaujin's picture

Play therapy since problems are worked out through play when very young

Separation

thereserockwell's picture

I could have my foster child write letters to his family members. We could mail them when it is appropriate to do so. We could look at his or her family photos and talk about the people in the photos. I could print some photos from his or her phone and frame them, or make a photo scrap book for the child to keep.

IDEAS

epowell's picture

I have some middle aged kids (10 and 13) who use to visit with their family as a mean of communication and my 15 year old she visited with her biological family often and I believe as long as they(biological family)puts forth the effort than I makes things that much better.

Dealing with separation

Tistinesissy's picture

a school aged child could write letters to their family as a way to express themselves. if at some point communication is reopened they may want to share their letters.

idea

sweetvoice30's picture

We have used play therapy.

Ideas

lukewhite76's picture

We have had the young ones color pictures of their family and fun places they have been with their family.

Talk openly

ericars's picture

Our kiddos are 3 and 5 years old. Sometimes these concepts seem too grownup for them. Where we have had luck though is in pretend play, coloring and open discussion about where their folks are and how they're doing.

talking openly

trombonehampton's picture

We had a child experience a parent's death while in our care. Talking openly (lead by the child) seemed to be the best course to take. We had experienced loss in our own family and tried to share that connection with her and how we dealt with it and felt about it.

Talk openly

ericars's picture

Our kiddos are 3 and 5 years old. Sometimes these concepts seem too grownup for them. Where we have had luck though is in pretend play, coloring and open discussion about where their folks are and how they're doing.

Ideas

Ryanfontana's picture

We had a 4 year old boy who was separated from his sisters. We would facetime with them once a week so they could see each other between visits. They really enjoyed this!

An idea for young ones (we

meghan711's picture

An idea for young ones (we had an 18 month old and 3 year old placed with us) is to have them color a picture of their bio parents and siblings.