Youth Centered Guidelines

raymondclap1's picture

I assume the federal definition has taken into account the feelings and ideas of the youth of a period of time, otherwise, what is the point. Permanency has core components but it's truest definition is subjective to the individual. Listen to what the youth themselves are yearning for. In the end, everyone has their own perspective.

permanency

tamullins13's picture

Since the purpose of the feds is to protect, their primary concern is a child's safety, not comfort. Practically speaking, a child's perception will be the most influencing. But it seems reasonable that the best course is to align both definitions

Permanency

sdclinkscales's picture

I think that as a foster parent that I need to think of both definitions equally. In order to be successful in planning for any permanent situation for my foster children I need to be aware of the laws and the federal definition. Without being aware I could potentially aid in the mis-education of the children as well as get their hopes up for unreasonable things. And that is definitely not something that we would want to do with any of the children in foster care.

Permaneancy

linneacnord's picture

It is so important that if we can't, as foster parents, adopt the children in our care that we advocate for them to get into the best situation possible by making sure their wants and needs are heard by adults. Being open and honest with them while making sure to take time to listen to him or her is a vital way to make sure transition to permanent placement is successful.

Permanency

1voswalt's picture

As a foster parent, you must know what the realistic expectations for permanency will be. However, we are the voice for our children and must know their hopes, dreams and desires when it comes to a permanency placement. We must be willing and able to speak that for them if it is within their best interest. We must know what they want and value in permanency to be able to be that voice. Then, maybe, we can help find an answer that is best for them.

Permanency

1voswalt's picture

As a foster parent, you must know what the realistic expectations for permanency will be. However, we are the voice for our children and must know their hopes, dreams and desires when it comes to a permanency placement. We must be willing and able to speak that for them if it is within their best interest. We must know what they want and value in permanency to be able to be that voice. Then, maybe, we can help find an answer that is best for them.

Permanency

1voswalt's picture

Permanency

1moswalt's picture

You have to pay attention to both because the youth is fragile. We must deal with the emotional state of where they are at and where they came from to be able to address their needs. However, as a foster parent, the federal definition is mandated. You must be able to help your child understand, work through, and deal with the expectations that ultimately governs their permanency plan.

Permanacy

Tracy Harmony's picture

I think you have to consider both. As an experienced Foster Mom and presently a Foster to Adopt Mom, the two are simlar yet different. As a foster mom, I rarely ever considered the child's permenancy plan because I funtioned as a supportive, safe envirmonment while the State worked out the particulars. Almost all of our foster placements left our home for other foster homes, facility, group home or aged out. Over the course of 5 years of fostering, I never had a case worker discuss with me the permanacy plan for the child. Maybe in hindsight I would have been more helpful in preparing the child for a move. It was a big secret and the child seemed blindsided everytime. While I was always the best foster home they (child or caseworker) had ever seen, we were not considered or asked if we would be willing to be a viable permanent option for a child with TPR. Now that we are in a Foster to Adopt relationship, my parenting and foster parenting has completely changed. We went from being the best foster home ever, to the real possiblitiy of being their forever home. With that mindset, my foster parenting is more akin to traditonal Mom and Dad parenting. As a foster Mom, I went along with the flow of the case workers decisons and didn't participate in transportation to visits or apointments. As a Foster to Adopt Mom, I am very invested in my children's lives and am willingly to do whatever it takes to ensure their time left in foster care is less impactful on the rest of their lives. If more Foster to Adopt families were identified and provided permanacy planning support, more children stuck in care would find permanancy quicker.

Permanency

grncarex2's picture

There must be regulations, some type structure in place to guide the process. However, there needs to be input from the very ones most effected by the process. The youth have a right to be heard. Even in divorce cases, around the age of 14 (varies state to state) a child's input is allowed, and in many cases, it's the deciding factor in resolving the issue. We talk of empowering our youth. They need to know their opinion matters, and they will be heard, especially, in an arena where it seems they have been silenced and everyone but them has a right to script their lives for them.

Permanency

vita's picture

Why do children have to be removed from your home because adoption was not something that you wanted. They should have the right to say where they want to be,not forced to someone they don't know just because to the department they have run out of time. This puts so much trauma on the child and the foster parent.

Permanancy

Q50mcneil's picture

I think foster parents need to pay most attention to the federal definition of permanency because this is a child and the federal government mandates and the status of every child is reviewed every 6 months by a court or administrative review. A permanency planning hearing must be held within 12 months of the date the child enters care, and then every 12 months there after. So its not up to the child and encouraging permanency could be very misleading and could have serious ramifications or emotional distress because the child is a ward of the state, unable to make this decision or care for oneself .

Permanency

Miriammyers's picture

I think we should pay more attention to the youth's definition. As they become adults, it will mean more to them if they feel like they have a place to call home rather than "did they meet a federal definition". I think it matters more that the child feels loved, safe, people they can depend on, and a place to always com back to. Most children in Forster care probably don't even realize there is a federal definition. I know the one in my care does not.

Permanency

mhowardjr35's picture

We need to pay attention to the youths definition because they are the ones whose opinion matters. We are trying to create an environment for them to thrive in and what better way than to see what their thoughts on the idea of permanence.

I believe they must both be

gobucks33's picture

I believe they must both be considered. As a Foster Parent, I must know the legal process for adoption, when the child will age out of the system, and what the legal implications of aging out are in order to best help them through that process. However, I must also recognize and acknowledge the child's idea of permanency and ensure I am providing the right support to help them achieve that plan. These children deserve to have a family and a home, but they should have some say in what that looks like.

Agree

coultersmom's picture

I think when children are in care they must be protected by the federal law. Then, we must consider the whole child and the wishes of the child should be considered. The law may have to superceed these wishes, but the should be thoughtfully considered.

Whos definition of permanency?

TheJLedQ35's picture

I feel the youths description of permanency holds a little more weight than federal government. I do believe that the federal government needs to have some basic input for safety precautions but overall the youth's description of permanency hold a lot of weight in my mind.

Permanence

albaughg's picture

I believe it is more important to listen to the youth's definition. The federal definition is something that is derived from lawyers and has the legal jargon that muddies up what is really behind the means of the definition - what the youth's feelings and emotions. To understand what is really behind the meaning of permanency, you have to take the explanation from those who it directly effects - youth.

Permancy

rick2214's picture

Prior to being a foster parent to a newborn I would say the federal definition due to giving the bilogical mother, father time to do what was needed to obtain reunification but as I have lived and send the permancy word tossed around for almost three years( which is how long my daughter (foster) have been in my care) and experience how social services, child advocate lawyers and the court system uses it as a crutch, I now understand that we should be looking at permancy through the eyes of the youth because in reality this is the person that is affected emotionally, socially and physically for actions in most cases are not of their control but they suffer the consequences.

Permanence

spedteacher828's picture

Permanence is something that shouldn't be taken lightly, but also something that shouldn't be prolonged. Children shouldn't be part of the system for 10-12 years, moving from home to home. How is that in their best interest? How are they to develop family skills? Why are so many kids being adopted after they aged out of the system? Something isn't right and this still needs to be fixed. I have personally seen too much of this.

Youth vs. Feds

davidgregor's picture

I think the question is a little misdirected.

As a foster parent, my goal is to provide a permanent place in my home and my heart to the children that come through my doors.I have to be open to the pain and uncertainty that the kids are going through.

For some of my kids, they have accepted and embraced a permanent place in the family. For some, they have rejected a place. And, there is one still trying to figure out if they will accept permanence.

My job is to make sure that permanence is offered - no matter how the feds define it, and no matter if the kids accept it or not.

So, I tell my kids all the time, that we love them, and they are part of our family (even if they don't want to hear it!)

Voice of permanancy

Vendy's picture

The youth's voice on permanence is most important. t least the Ferderal now is beginning to realize the importance of it.

In case the answer I gave

CandTW's picture

In case the answer I gave shows up, I will summarize. As for the letter of the law when applying that it is important but the most importance should be on the children and their importance should be at the heart of the law and their words should be the most important when amending anything on this matter. (Also if the law could stop allowing benefits to be reduced upon adoption that would help tremendously in the matter of this form of permanence too.Don't punish them for finding a forever home,)

I think a youth's perspective

Managsd's picture

I think a youth's perspective should be given at least equal weight

Federal and Youth Permanence

rmartinez's picture

The law should guide how we think about permanence. However, the youth definition permanence should influence how we use the definition. Foster parents must be able to give a voice to youth and see to it that they are happy.

permenancy

1Overcame's picture

Foster parents are guided by Federal and state employees to ensure they comply with Federal regulations and guidelines. Yet they have to choose each day to provide stability and permanence for the children in their care. A balance of both is needed, providing the child with the very best outcome.

Permanency

deybarry01's picture

You have to pay attention to the law as well as to the youth. In the end you have to be the voice of the child sharing what they feel they need for the future.

Federal vs Youth

christirooroo's picture

Of course the federal definition is important; however, my number one concern is for the child. It is very important to listen to them and help them through the process as best I can. At this point in their lives, this might be the only time they have had an actual voice.

Permanency

adowd416's picture

As licensed foster parents, we obviously have to listen to the law. Thankfully, in this situation, the definitions are similar. That being said, the feelings and consideration of the child should always be the top priority. As their caretakers, we should always advocate for what is best for them.

Permanency

adowd416's picture

As licensed foster parents, we obviously have to listen to the law. Thankfully, in this situation, the definitions are similar. That being said, the feelings and consideration of the child should always be the top priority. As their caretakers, we should always advocate for what is best for them.

Permanency

Toftesa's picture

You have to pay attention to both federal and youth but ultimately its about listening to the child. Its about their wants and needs and making sure their voice is heard and understood.

permanency

BillandAmyLittlefield's picture

Both federal and youth permanency views are needed to be successful.

Permanency is about stability for the child

Lou's picture

While the federal definition of permanency important, It's most important that the children that we are tasked to care for feel that they have a stable home, that they are loved and that they have people that they can count on and come to no matter what, even after they leave care if you adopted them or not.

Both

toniwhaley's picture

While federal definition is important, I am all for letting the kids have a voice in what it means to them.

federal vs. youth

tbraxton63's picture

I think it is important to listen to both perspectives. I believe that you should lean more toward the youth because there are the ones who goes through it and that views matter the most.

the permanency question

mwilson518's picture

I think both are equally important. The federal definition and guidelines help provide a framework for taking children who have experienced relational trauma to recover and get settled into as "normal" and stable a family life as possible...but the children involved also have a voice and must be heard and taken seriously.

Good. Question

Mtic1977's picture

I think both parties definitions of permanency are important but ultimately the child's definition to me means mote because they are the one's who have to deal with it the most

Good. Question

Mtic1977's picture

I think both parties definitions of permanency are important but ultimately the child's definition to me means mote because they are the one's who have to deal with it the most

federal vs youth

cgoslee's picture

I think both are important. The federal is going to cover all aspects and the youth is speaking from the real experience which is very important as well..

federal vs youth

cgoslee's picture

I think both are important. The federal is going to cover all aspects and the youth is speaking from the real experience which is very important as well..

Federal vs. Youth

kdavis5916's picture

I think both Federal and Youth are important but I think the that needs to be primary depends on the age.

Federal vs. Youth

kdavis5916's picture

I think both are important eas a guideline to start. I think that it depends on the age of the child. For older youth in the system, their voices need to heard. For the babies and younger youth I think we foster parents need more of a voice. We are the ones caring for these children on a daily basis. We hear and see more than any case worker, GAL, CASA worker and judge. We don't have a voice and I think that is something that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Both are Important

aweaver's picture

Both the federal and foster care youth's definitions of permanency are important. It is helpful to have the federal definition in mind while discussing permanency with a foster care youth, in case they have never thought about permanency or how to obtain it in his/her own life. Listening to foster care youth is vital to their growth, development, and sense of self-worth.

fed vs youth

jimrudd1961's picture

both are important , the law sets a guideline for us to follow but the youth def. must be respected and taken into consideration.

federal def.

mrskmhooker's picture

I think foster parents need to pay more attention to the youth as they are the voice and ones needing permanency. Federal regulations are important but it doesn't always mean they know whats best, but the child is the one whos life is being affected.

permanent

aggieerik's picture

The federal definition is a good starting point for policies. Reunification is preferred, but not many children can appreciate how dysfunctional some of these families are. Foster parents need to operate within the legal framework but must protect the children from the dysfunction related to the entrance into foster system.

Federal vs. Youth

aarmentano's picture

I think it is important for the caseworker and foster parent to define the federal definition of permanency to the foster child. The caseworker & foster parent should listen and try to empathize with the foster child's definition of permanency.

Federal VS. Youth

Lowell Everett Fox's picture

I believe the Federal government and children are both are important for different reasons. The federal guidelines outline the process and responsibilities until childhood is officially non longer a minor. The child's definition is important because it is the key for long term positive mental health..

Federal vs Youth

Awalls's picture

I feel that both the federal and youth aspect should be adhered. The youth knows what they want and who they like and want to be around. They should be considered first and listened to the most. Federal is a matter of courts and what it means to have permanency.

The youth's definition,

Jrocha100's picture

The youth's definition, because every child's needs and defintion of permanency is different and unique to that child. It is not a "one size fits all."

Pages