Notice: Forum posts will not be published until they have been approved by FosterClub staff.

Permancy

changers's picture

I believe that both deserve equal attention. Every situation is different. Therefore no child should have to be put in a box. In the end what is best for the child should be first even if it is not the same as the child desires. However, we must not forget that there are resource parents who may not mind working with children to help maintain and establish important relationships even if they are not (court) possible at the time.

Federal definition of Permanency

Marlene's picture

Yes, foster parents and youth's need to pay attention to the federal permanency definition. Both parties utilizing these actions of permanency help the best interest of the child scenarios.

Permanency

mcoito46's picture

Both are important. We need to follow the law; but we do not need to exclude the children and ignore their needs.

Permanency

horses10's picture

Both definitions are important. Each child's story is unique and should be looked at what is the best interest of the child.

permanency

tweety9792013's picture

Both are important. The child's voice should never be ignored.

permanency

Teamgile90's picture

I believe we need to follow the laws set out for permanency. But at the same time, listen to the children that are in our care. They need to have a voice, no matter what age. Not that they always know what is best for them. But they should still be heard. Laws are there for a reason and must be followed.

permanency

teamgile's picture

Although it is hard at times, we are required by law to adhere to the rules of permanency. I believe we should allow the child to be heard though, no matter what the age. They have thoughts and ideas and even thought they may not be the best or coming from a place of truly knowing their circumstances, they should still be heard. Bottom line, we need to adhere to permanency regulations.

We are required to pay

nathanhall22's picture

We are required to pay attention to the federal definition of permanency because this is what the courts follow and adhere to; although, we have a duty to remember the best interest of the children living in our home. If they have a reasonable explanation for their desires for permanency in any way, that should be respected and highly considered by case workers, the court, and the foster parents.

Permanency

Heidiliz77's picture

I agree with many of the comments stated above. I think we must know and adhere to the federal law at a minimum. But also, listen to and respect the desires and definitions of the youth in care.

Permanency

katelynhall22's picture

I think it is critical to keep both definitions in mind when considering permanency. There are many reasons for considering both: although, I think a few are of importance to highlight. We must keep the child's view of permanency in mind because it is the life that they will have to live with. These children are forced to live with the decisions of others- bio parents, judges, recommendations. Their stability is of importance, and when they believe they have achieved permanency, that should be taken into strong consideration. However, the law is intended to be evidence-based. It is uniform and provides structure in guiding cases. A framework is important for consistency.

Permanency

snicholas's picture

The federal definition should be the minimum standard, however the youth's definition should be the suggested guideline. Listen to them when being the process of permanency.

Permanency

snicholas's picture

The federal definition should be the minimum standard but the youth's definition should be the suggested guideline. Listen to them when being the process of permanency.

No Voice-Younger Children

SGRIER's picture

It saddens me that we should listen to the federal side, because in the end thats what dictates the outcome for the children. This is especially concerning for the kids who are too young to speak for themselves, and the past speaks volumes. It is a struggle for me to understand how reunification in my mind shoud not be an option in some cases but is very much a reality. Children that are too young to speak are at a disadvantage and sometimes need to be rescued from the whole family. It seems to me that if the family has custody, they will in some form be exposed to the parent that was not able to care for these children in a proper manner. Just seeing the parent can cause trauma. Not all parents rights need to be terminated but permanency seems to attempt to make it possible for some children to reunify with parents that dont deserve as well. I know its their job in the end. My concern is what happens after reunification.

I agree, and it's hard to

katelynhall22's picture

I agree, and it's hard to figure out how to appropriately voice my concerns without being pegged as biased.

Both

amberbobst's picture

The federal side is definitely important but to also remained focus on hearing the child's voice on the matter. Ultimately we are to look out for the child's needs and providing permanence.

Permanency - youth vs court

gretchennoah's picture

I keep the federal version in mind...but I look first to the child's view. How can we help them if we don't understand their view first? One step at a time... one court hearing at a time. We get through it. But it's amazing in our experience how many families do not have good bio-family permanency options. So sad. We foster mainly teens....so the reading is correct... most are not adopted. But they all still need love and a place to think of and call HOME. Wish more foster families would consider teens. Very rewarding.

Equal Footing

cls2lrn2's picture

What the Courts Require and What the Youth Need should and need to go hand in hand. Some of what I see and hear that goes on is out of this world. Some things should never happen. Some things should never take so long and a lot of things need to be taken into consideration.

Equal Footing

cls2lrn2's picture

What the Courts Require and What the Youth Need should and need to go hand in hand. Some of what I see and hear that goes on is out of this world. Some things should never happen. Some things should never take so long and a lot of things need to be taken into consideration.

We have the responsibility to

Laura's picture

We have the responsibility to be aware of the law and how it affects all parties involved, but also to give careful consideration to the POV of the children in our care to ensure that their needs are being met., their questions answered and they are advocated for.

The sooner a child has

Tricia49841's picture

The sooner a child has permanence the better their chances

Introduction to Permanency

rlofton's picture

The child's view and the court is very important

Both

SPrimer's picture

While you obviously need to pay attention to, and honor, the federal definition of permanency, it is also important to listen to the youth and their definition of permanency. it is important as foster parents, who are potentially involved in permanency planning, to listen to the child and respect their definition and beliefs regarding permanency. We should be able to (or at least try our best to) advocate for what is in the child's best interests while also respecting the child's wishes regarding permanency.

child's view

jennywrenhen's picture

I think it is most important to see things from a child's POV and what they need and want. The federal definition should be honored, however it is important to remember that this set of guidelines is made in an office by people who are *not* in foster care.

Permanency

tesk87's picture

I believe it is most important to pay attention to the child's views as most important because each child's situation is different. But federal laws are pretty much one size fits all.

Voice

BLAB's picture

Both the federal and youth permanency views are needed. It is important for the child to be heard. They need to feel that their opinion is important
when deciding what their life path should be.

Permanency

Blair's picture

In my mind the best thing a foster parent can do is to value both highly. For the foster parent to make a commitment to the child and fulfill the government's definition of permanency through adoption, that parent is committed to the youth's well being in every way (relational stability, having a "place" - as well as legally). To me this is the best case scenario for the child who has no other connections.
If this can't happen though, the foster parent hopefully will choose to provide "relational" permanency through continued relationship, including offering the foster youth a "place" in their home.

Both

jillianeliz81's picture

I believe the child is most important but out of respect for the structure that was setup, it must be taken into consideration.

Definitions

0togo7's picture

As the foster parent advocating for the child, the child's perspective should be on the forefront as you navigate the process together.

Live Long Family

spa4x's picture

I think that DSS, or any child services need to stop pushing so hard for reunification with a bio family. Children spent years waiting for a live long family. And instead they are tossed between homes. Make a game plan, for the bio family. Make it start at day one. If they don't do it, after one year the child can be adopted. Stop making it easier for the bio family to get away with all the hell they've put these children through. Give these kids a chance. No child should have to go through waiting for love, stability, and a family.

Permanency

SeanL's picture

Both should be taken into consideration. To be moved so many times does not give a child the sense of permanency. Also not saying why becomes heartbreaking. I understand that some information can't be said but we need to hear their answers to why they need a permanent home instead of being moved around so much. Please listen to our youth in care and take it into consideration when youth have to be moved for the fifth or twelfth time.

Both

sfin74's picture

The federal definition should be the minimum standard but the youth's definition should be the suggested guideline. Listen to them when being the process of permanency.

It depends....

PamDV's picture

I think both sides are important, but it is incredibly important to listen to the perspective of the youth.

Permanency

adevos's picture

The youth should definitely be listened to first and foremost. They are the one's being most affected and if they are not going to be heard, they tend to give up. We are to establish a strong support system for them to succeed and sometimes going purely 'by the book' clouds what is really best for the child.

I believe the youths

ColbyW's picture

I believe the youths definition should be the most important. Because children are human beings and their personal definition of permanence is what will bring them peace. I believe that many times depending on the child those definitions will change and should be respected.

permanency

trombonehampton's picture

I really believe the youth's definition is certainly more important as it is vital to helping them grow with a sense of self worth!

Permanency

Mariah_Rader's picture

I think the child's definition of permanency should be foremost in the decision, as long as the child is of an age and mental capacity to understand the situation. The child will, often times, know what their needs are better than the government will and their needs should be the only thing considered in determining permanency.

Permanancy

Heim3608's picture

I believe the youth's definition is certainly more important as it is vital to helping them grow with a sense of self worth..

Permanent

epowell's picture

In my opinion the federal regulation is important, but not as important as the kids own voices opinions and concerns. They run good together and beneficial in many ways.

permanency

Tistinesissy's picture

I think the federal definition is and important base line and that the opinion of the youth should be valued as a way to build on that definition and provide them with a definition unique to them and their needs.

Permanency

Ankromfamily1's picture

I think both definitions are important. As foster parents, we need to understand and operate under federal laws and definition, but as advocates for our foster children, we need to ensure their needs and desires are met (or as close as realistically possible). We got into fostering with the ultimate goal of adopting, but understanding that some of the children we foster may go back to their birth parents instead. We know that, if the birth parents can provide a healthy environment for their children, it is in the best interests of everybody if they go back. We are adults and can handle getting our hearrts broken.

Permanency

JamesWash's picture

The definition provided by the youth will get my attention more than the federal definition since the youth have actually lived through the process. The life experience the youth have to offer to the definition is much more important to me than the federal's textbook definition.

Permanency

MamaWash's picture

As foster parents, we are to work for what is in the best interest for the children. The best advice comes from someone who has actually been in the situation themself and can speak from experience. Since the youth's definition is based on personal experiences, it carries more weight for me.

Youth Centered Guidelines

raymondclap1's picture

I assume the federal definition has taken into account the feelings and ideas of the youth of a period of time, otherwise, what is the point. Permanency has core components but it's truest definition is subjective to the individual. Listen to what the youth themselves are yearning for. In the end, everyone has their own perspective.

permanency

tamullins13's picture

Since the purpose of the feds is to protect, their primary concern is a child's safety, not comfort. Practically speaking, a child's perception will be the most influencing. But it seems reasonable that the best course is to align both definitions

Permanency

sdclinkscales's picture

I think that as a foster parent that I need to think of both definitions equally. In order to be successful in planning for any permanent situation for my foster children I need to be aware of the laws and the federal definition. Without being aware I could potentially aid in the mis-education of the children as well as get their hopes up for unreasonable things. And that is definitely not something that we would want to do with any of the children in foster care.

Permaneancy

linneacnord's picture

It is so important that if we can't, as foster parents, adopt the children in our care that we advocate for them to get into the best situation possible by making sure their wants and needs are heard by adults. Being open and honest with them while making sure to take time to listen to him or her is a vital way to make sure transition to permanent placement is successful.

Permanency

1voswalt's picture

As a foster parent, you must know what the realistic expectations for permanency will be. However, we are the voice for our children and must know their hopes, dreams and desires when it comes to a permanency placement. We must be willing and able to speak that for them if it is within their best interest. We must know what they want and value in permanency to be able to be that voice. Then, maybe, we can help find an answer that is best for them.

Permanency

1voswalt's picture

As a foster parent, you must know what the realistic expectations for permanency will be. However, we are the voice for our children and must know their hopes, dreams and desires when it comes to a permanency placement. We must be willing and able to speak that for them if it is within their best interest. We must know what they want and value in permanency to be able to be that voice. Then, maybe, we can help find an answer that is best for them.

Permanency

1voswalt's picture

Permanency

1moswalt's picture

You have to pay attention to both because the youth is fragile. We must deal with the emotional state of where they are at and where they came from to be able to address their needs. However, as a foster parent, the federal definition is mandated. You must be able to help your child understand, work through, and deal with the expectations that ultimately governs their permanency plan.

Pages