laura_dryden's picture

Hello! I aged out of foster care 14 years ago. My former foster mother (foster dad recently passed away) wants to adopt me and I'm FINALLY ready! only one problem. We've all spent over a month trying to find the correct petition papers to turn in to the District Court and continue to come up empty handed. I have a minor child and also a dd/mr petition but nothing for just an adult adoption. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome! Thank you

Adult Adoption for 18 & over

AlwaysLearning's picture

Hi, I sure hope you got the info you asked for 8 months ago! So-called "adult adoption" is possible pretty much everywhere. There may be some variations by state here's a good info site for overall info. Google the National Resource Center for Permanency and Family Connections (NRCPFC) article, "Facilitating an Adult Adoption as a Pathway to Permanence for Older Youth" Here is what it is in MA: Adult adoptions are handled by Probate court, not Family Court. There is no charge, and the person adopted is allowed a free name change- ie you get adopted under the name you choose, and that name is the one your new birth certificate will bear. (f you decide to change it later, that would be like anyone else doing a name change and you have to pay for it, and it will not be reflected on your birth cert) The Petition to Adopt is the same as for minors, HOWEVER if you are a legal adult (18 in MA) you can sign your own Consent to Adoption as an adult- the process doesn't require the consent of previous parents nor of Child Welfare agency. So, there is a lot less paperwork. In some states it may be handled in Surrogate Court. If you're near the courts, I would just go in and ask for whomever handles Adoptions, then check their forms to see if an adult can sign their own consent. Submit the forms and they will tell you if they need something else. You will need all your birth certificates- adopter(s) and adoptee's. In MA, they run a CORI (criminal record check) on all parties involved because why not, it's good to know! In some states if the person being adopted is married, they may need a copy of their marriage certificate and their spouse's consent as well. Also it may help to have a short explanation prepared of why the prospective parents are seeking to adopt this person, and why this person wants to be adopted. It can be written on the Petition to Adopt form or attached in a separate letter addressed to the Court. Even if not required, it may help them get their heads around it if not used to processing adoptions for those over 18. After the court date you have to check to be sure they sent the form out to follow up and record it in your state of birth. Btw keep copies of ALL your docs and also put a written request in the file for return of all original documents, to be sure to get the pre-adoption birth cert and other things back. Best wishes!