Make It Happen (MIH!) - College Success Foundation Make It Happen! Was a three day, two night college experience for about 300 youth and alumni of the Washington state foster care system. The event was full of information on what getting into and going to college is all about. The event was from June 23rd - June 25th, 2015 at Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington. The topics and discussions that took place are as follows:
- Applying for College
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Learning about many of the colleges in Washington state
- Support programs available for youth across the state
- Connecting education to career opportunities
- Taking the high school courses that will best prepare you for college
There were some FosterClub All-Stars at this event; they presented workshops to the youth and alumni. The workshops are as follows:
- T-Time- Transitioning out of care, knowing your resources before aging out of care.
- Getting a financial life- This workshop explores the twists and turns that some foster youth face along the financial path and how to keep themselves from going over the edge, and along the way maybe even finding some additional support and long lost belongings. The youth learn what really happens in life with finances, like debt and bankruptcy, things like that so they are aware of what could happen if they are not careful.
- Tell it like it is- Strategic Sharing, Advocacy. Teaching youth how to share their story in a professional and empowering manner; knowing themselves and their self worth. Making sure they are not exploited.