I think my case worker doesn't like me because I identify as gay. Can I get a new caseworker?

1 answer


Whether you are experiencing discrimination in the foster care system or with a caseworker after leaving Care such as a welfare office caseworker, there are procedures for reporting it and getting reassigned. If you are a foster youth you can discuss this with your CASA and with the Gardian Ad Litem and can request a hearing to get reassigned. You may need to explain your reason for requesting a new caseworker to a judge and it may not be an immediate transfer to another caseworker, as they may need to shift cases to have another caseworker available. It is also important to keep complete documentation of interactions and events with your caseworker and with the others involved in representing you. This may help show if there is a pattern or discrimination, or incompetence of a caseworker.