Welcome to Nevada's National Youth in Transition Database (NYTD) Survey.

Who: This survey is for young people in foster care within 45 days after their 17th birthday. (PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS SURVEY UNTIL YOUR 17TH BIRTHDAY.) 

Why: The information from this survey will be provided to the state of Nevada and used to help to improve the child welfare system for our brothers and sisters still in care.

This survey takes about 15 minutes to complete. The questions on this survey should be answered from YOUR perspective. In other words, you should answer based on what you know at this point in time. Don't get discouraged if you don't know some of the answers - this is not a test and you won't be graded.

Part of the goal of NYTD is to measure what young people understand about their own situations. However, if you don't know some of these answers, we encourage you to DOWNLOAD A PAPER VERSION OF THIS SURVEY and go over it with your caseworker, foster parent, or another supportive adult. This will help you make sure that you understand all of the resources that are available to you. Also, we created a list of explanations to some of the questions that might be confusing so you don't leave questions unanswered and reported as declined to answer.

Reminder: This should be completed: AFTER the youth's 17th birthday and WITHIN 45 days of the youth's birthday.

NYTD Timeline






Do you have your mail sent somewhere other than what you listed above? Some people might list a P.O. Box, for example. If you live away at college, you might list a parent’s address as a mailing address, if you prefer to have mail sent there.


We will only use this information to help us find you if we are unable to contact you. We will not ask these people for any other information about you and we will not share any of what you told us today or in the past with them.
Select YES if you are currently employed 35 hours per week or more. This should be the TOTAL hours per week you are employed, whether it’s at one job or multiple jobs.
Select YES if currently employed LESS THAN 35 hours per week TOTAL, whether you work at one job or at multiple jobs.
Select YES if you are currently receiving payments from the government to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter because you or a parent or guardian have a disability or because your parent or guardian died.
Select YES if you are currently receiving scholarships, grants, student loan or stipends to pay for your education, whether the money comes from your state, the Federal Government, or a private scholarship or loan source. Your educational expenses could include tuition, housing, books and supplies, or transportation costs that are required to obtain your education.
Select YES if you are currently receiving financial support from someone else. This could be from your biological family, foster or adoptive family or even another supportive adult or friend. Select YES if you receive funds from a legal settlement. Also, select YES if you receive child support payments for YOURSELF). DO NOT INCLUDE occasional gifts, such as birthday or graduation checks or small donations of food or personal incidentals, child care assistance, or other financial help that does not benefit you directly in supporting yourself. Also, do not include child support if you have a child.
Select YES if you are currently receiving ongoing welfare payments from the government to support your basic needs. Does not include payments or subsidies for unemployment insurance, child care subsidies, education assistance, food stamps or housing assistance.
Select YES if you are currently receiving public food assistance such as food stamps, which are government-issued coupons or debit cards that can be used to buy food. Public food assistance also includes assistance from the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program.
Select YES if you currently live in public housing, which is rental housing where the government covers a portion of the rent for eligible individuals and families. This does not include payments from the foster care or child welfare agency for room and board payments, such as money through your Independent Living or Transitional Living program to pay for housing.
Choose the highest degree or certification from the list. They are listed in order, from lowest degree (the ones that usually take the least amount of time to complete) to the highest degree. If you have not yet earned one of the degrees, then select “None of the Above.”
Select YES if you are enrolled in and attending school. Select yes if you are enrolled in school but you’re not currently attending because you are on summer break. Do not select yes if you have future plans to attend school, but have not yet signed up.
Select YES if you have ever not had a home to live in. This could include living in a car, “couch surfing” (which means staying overnight at the home of different friends or family members), living on the street, or staying in a homeless shelter.
Select YES if you have ever been referred to, or asked to go to, a drug or alcohol assessment, treatment center, or counseling session, whether or not you think you have or had a drug or alcohol problem.
“Allegedly” means that you were accused of a crime, even if you were never convicted. Answer YES to this question if you have ever spent ANY amount of time in a jail, prison, correctional facility, or juvenile or community detention facility because someone suspected that you committed a crime. DO NOT count times you may have visited any of these places for a school field trip or to visit someone you know.
Select YES if you have given birth or fathered a child, even if you are not currently parenting the child. Do not select yes if the pregnancy ended in a miscarriage or abortion and the child was not born.
If you do not have any children, please select "Not Applicable."
Select YES if you currently receive Medicaid (or the State medical assistance program), which is a health insurance program funded by the government, from your state.
Select YES if you have other health insurance through a company or organization other than Medicaid. This could include health insurance provided by a parent, through your employer, or a plan that you pay for yourself. This also could include access to free health care through a college, Indian Tribe, or other source. If you responded yes to this question, please answer questions c., d., & e. below. If you don't have health insurance other than medicaid, please respond with 'not applicable' to the next 3 questions.
If you do not have insurance other than Medicaid, please respond with "Not applicable."
If you do not have insurance other than Medicaid, please respond with "not applicable."
If you do not have insurance other than Medicaid, please respond with "Not applicable."

By hitting 'Submit NYTD Survey', I understand that this information is for the National Youth in Transition Database and will be provided to the state of Nevada and will be used to collect information with a goal of helping to improve the system.