Open Position: Youth Communications Specialist
Rate of Pay: $50,000 - $55,000 per year, depending on experience
Work Location: This is a remote position. Priority may be given to candidates in Oregon or the Washington DC area (location of our physical offices)
Deadline for applications: 3/8/2021
To Apply: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WCZCHYG
Who We Are
FosterClub’s mission is big: lead the efforts of young people in and from foster care to become connected, educated, inspired and represented so they can realize their personal potential and contribute to a better life for their peers.
Our approach is to engage and empower those who have the most at stake in transforming the foster care system: young people themselves. FosterClub creates and connects young people from foster care with unique tools and programs, and engages young people to transform life for themselves, their peers, and to ultimately improve the child welfare system.
FosterClub understands that good youth engagement integrates Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI), and that the entire child welfare system is improved by prioritizing the well-being of young people who experience significant bias and discrimination in the child welfare system due to their race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and who are disproportionately represented in the child welfare system.
Candidates who identify as POC and candidates with Lived Experience in Foster Care are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Opportunity: Youth Communications Specialist
FosterClub develops and delivers innovative strengths-based, trauma-informed communications and publications for youth in/from foster care. As a member of our Direct Support to Youth Team,
the Youth Communications Specialist will expand FosterClubs’ voice by generating and creating impactful content and managing FosterClub’s portfolio of print and digital publications. This position requires the production of a high volume of high-quality content and material.
- Design youth-focused print and digital publications content that consistently conveys the youth-friendly, FosterClub voice
- Update and redevelop existing print and digital publications
- Develop online youth communications, engagement opportunities, and contests
- Use social media to connect with and engage youth
- Update, develop, & design website
- Support translation of publications and communications into Spanish or other languages as needed, such as working with interpretation contractor(s).
- Manage online store, including developing promotions, coupons, and supports marketing products
- Support All-Star intern activities during internship season, including hosting briefing and debriefing sessions, and supporting youth during travel to youth conferences
- Keep abreast of current trends and research in youth development and child welfare practices
- Work collaboratively to reduce racial and gendered outcome disparities for youth and families engaged in the child welfare system
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to brand standards and produce collateral that represents brand, which is youthful, fun, and interactive.
- Intermediate to advanced Graphic Design experience, especially for youth audiences, using creative tools including Adobe (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign), plus web-based tools such as Canva.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including copy editing ability.
- Experience developing and executing print publications, including pre-press processes and print vendor relations.
- Experience developing, executing, & evaluating the effectiveness of digital communications strategies, including demonstrated use of social platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and/or TikTok.
- Ability to provide technical assistance to the entire program team regarding communications opportunities and strategies.
- At least three years of professional experience in a similar communications role.
- Experience creating content, proofreading and editing written communication for youth audiences.
- Intermediate to expert level experience using Google Suite (Google Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc.), Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word, Publisher, PowerPoint), or similar systems
- Intermediate to advanced experience managing online store platforms, such as BigCommerce, Shopify, or Magento
- Intermediate to advanced website design and website management experience, Drupal experience strongly preferred
- Video development skills.
All FosterClub Employees are expected to be/have
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (FosterJEDI) commitment
- Tech savvy
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to work successfully with young people
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Commitment to ongoing personal and organizational growth development
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Sit or stand in a stationary position at a desk up to 40 hours per week
- Drafting/writing 80% of the time
- Moving tubs or bin <35lbs, occasionally
- Ascend/descend one flight of stairs for staff/team meetings 2x’s per week
- Extensive movement at youth events, occasionally on uneven terrain at youth camps
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- FosterClub’s core working hours are 9 am to 2 pm PT, staff will maintain a full-time work schedule, but will focus on being available for collaboration during these hours
- Occasional travel and overnights while supporting team members and Young Leaders to fulfill contractual obligations at youth events nationwide
- Traveling overnight for staff retreats and developmental training opportunities
- Open office environment
- Travel and Flying >25%, up to 50% during All-Star Season (June-August)
Equitable Employment Opportunity Statement
FosterClub is committed to building a more just, diverse, inclusive and accessible work environment. We strive to be a workplace where youth who have experienced care, folks with traditionally marginalized identities, and those with non-traditional career paths can thrive. As an Equitable Opportunity Employer we are also committed to upholding applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination in employment on the basis of age, ancestry, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political ideology, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or the presence of a physical, cognitive, or sensory disability.
To Apply: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WCZCHYG