FosterClub has been growing steadily and is now seeking to dramatically accelerate growth. The Board of Directors and Executive Director (ED) are looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded leader with experience scaling an organization, leading an management team, and developing a performance culture among a group of diverse, talented individuals.
FosterClub is the national network for young people in foster care. Our mission is to lead the efforts of young people in and from foster care to become connected, educated, inspired and represented so they can realize their personal potential and contribute to a better life for their peers. FosterClub is dedicated to providing a peer support network for children and youth in foster care. Further, we believe that the experiences young people have in foster care place them in a position to affect change within the system, inform and motivate their peers, build public awareness and create public will for improved care for abused and neglected children. With headquarters in Seaside, Oregon, and a policy office in Washington DC, our small non-profit organization makes a big impact on foster care across the nation. Last year, we impact over 106,000 youth in foster care, and our young leaders have been heralded for their role in passage of major child welfare legislation. For more information, please visit www.fosterclub.org
Four managers, one IT staff, and one program staff directly report to this position, with a full team of twelve employees and thirty summer interns. The COO must be a leader who is able to help others at FosterClub deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality. Importantly, the successful COO will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission. The COO helps the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and budget, and staff management. It is essential that the COO bring efficient and effective systems to increase the productivity of the organization, while retaining the creative spark that defines FosterClub.
- Reporting to the Executive Director, the COO will lead all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
- Assume primary responsibility for managing the day-to-day operations of the agency with support from ED, who will focus attention on outward facing relationships, communications, policy, resource development, fundraising and product development.
- Working in partnership with the ED on budget, strategic plans, operations and procedures, including implementation of the strategic plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it.
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization:
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; support an open-door policy among all staff
- Selects, trains, evaluates, and supervises assigned managerial and non-managerial personnel as assigned.
- Lead and manage the organization’s managers, who have the following responsibilities:
- Program areas (Outreach, Training, Young Leaders, Public Policy)
- Finance, Technology, and Human Resources
- Fundraising and Resource Development
- Develops and maintains agency personnel policies ensuring compliance with statutory and contract requirements, and oversee HR functions.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of FosterClub and be driven by the mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in scaling a non-profit organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team. The successful candidate will have had substantial management experience. Graduation from a four-year college or university with emphasis in business, public administration, or a related field is required of the ideal candidate. A Master's Degree or higher in business, public administration, or a related field is preferred. He/she will have a minimum ten (10) years progressively responsible managerial experience in an administrative services field, local government, non-profit or related industry; OR, any satisfactory equivalent combination of education, experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skill, and abilities to perform the job.
Due to the important staff management and HR duties for this position, we prefer a candidate who is available to work onsite at least 85% time.
Additionally, we are looking for:
• Results — proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
• Strategic Vision and Agility — ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan • Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
• Leadership and Organization — exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed • Action Oriented — enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
• General Management — thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
• Diversity and Lived Experience in Foster Care — FosterClub is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans. Candidates with lived experience in foster care are encouraged to apply
Salary range is $55,000 to $70,000, DOE
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a respected track record. FosterClub is prepared to consider candidates on a contract basis or in a regular staff position.
Start date: ASAP
Position will remain open until filled (posted 3/8/18). Candidates with excellent credentials and relevant experience should submit resume directly to Celeste Bodner, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also apply through the ZipRecruiter platform: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/job/9c1bbfd5
Due to limited resources FosterClub will only contact shortlisted employees