Purpose: The FosterEquality Lived Experience Leadership Team will elevate the experiences of LGBTQ+ & Two-Spirit youth in foster care and drive change within the foster care system to ensure LGBTQ+ & Two-Spirit youth receive affirming, inclusive and safe care.
Background: FosterClub believes when young people have the support they need and opportunity to drive change in their life, they become self-determined and do better. We also believe when the system listens to young people, it does better. For the past several years, FosterClub has elevated the voices of LGBTQ+ & Two-Spirit foster youth in our efforts to change the system through our #FosterEquality campaign. We know all youth in the foster care system are faced with difficult circumstances and obstacles to overcome. These challenges are amplified when a young person identifies as LGBTQ+ or Two-Spirit. To continue this work, FosterClub is supporting a Foster Equality Lived Experience Leadership Team to bring together LGBTQ+ & Two-Spirit leaders who can share perspectives to build public awareness, inform and educate policymakers and other stakeholders, provide policy and practice recommendations, and ultimately improve the foster care system for their peers.
- Team Members will serve 1 year term from August 2021 - August 2022
- Service Opportunities average 4-6 hours per month
- Virtual Orientation: August 24 - 26th, 2021
Living Allowance/Stipend or Compensation:
- Living Allowance will be provided for Orientation
- For ongoing service opportunities, living allowance will be provided according to LEx compensation guidance.
- Support for internet access, if needed
Activities LEx Leaders will be involved with:
- Orientation will be provided
- Meet with federal child welfare leaders and policymakers
- Educate adult stakeholders
- Provide perspectives to the media
- Contribute to collective and roundtable discussions on related topics
- Prep & Debrief are provided for all activities
Who should apply:
- Young people with lived experience in foster care/out-of-home care
- Age 18-26
- Anyone in the United States, Puerto Rico, or Virgin Islands are invited to apply
- Must identify as part of the LGBTQ+ & Two-Spirit community.
- We’re looking for a diversity of experiences in foster care, including group or residential placement, kinship/relative care, reunification, adoption, guardianship, interaction with juvenile justice, and more.